The EMC VNX series are a family of systems that provides unified file and block storage. The first generation of VNX replaced the CLARiiON and Celerra product line. The next generation of VNX systems contains a major update to the Storage Processor implementation for block storage. The second generation VNX increased performance of VNX by 4X over the first generation and added additional capabilities.
The VNX systems provide a wide set of connectivity options for block access and for file access as a NAS system. There are two different series in the VNX family: the VNXe targeted as an entry-level storage system and the VNX as a mid-tier system. Two gateway systems are offered, the VG2 and VG8, which attach to EMC block storage systems and provide NAS functionality.
The VNX series models all consist of the following modular components:
- One or two standby power systems (SPS) as 1U modules
- A 2U storage processor enclosure (SPE) for model VNX8000 contains the two storage processors with no disks, while the 3U Disk Processor Enclosure (DPE) for the other models contain the two storage processors with up to 15 3.5” disks or 25 2.5” disks. These models require four disks to be installed to serve as cache vault targets.
- Disk-array enclosure (DAE) with either 15 3.5” disks or 25 2.5” disks or 60 3.5” disks.
- 200GB on the first four drives are required for cache vault storage. In the VNX8000 they are the first four drives in the DAE.
- All components can be housed in the EMC 40U rack or any standard 19-inch rack
Download the full Product Brief now!