The Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform Midrange E-Series is a family of storage systems based on the high-end VSP design. The E-Series has replaced the earlier G and F models. The configurations use two purpose-built controllers, Storage Virtualization Operating System embedded software, and differing physical packaging. The VSP E Series E990 model was introduced in April 2020 and expanded with additional E590 and E790 models in December 2020. The E1090 system was introduced in February 2022 and replaces the E990 model. The E Series may have NVMe SSDs or also include HDDs in the models that have an H suffix (Hybrid). The hardware uses standard Intel components with no custom ASICs as were used on previous Hitachi midrange systems. The embedded Storage Virtualized Operating System RF (SVOS RF) is a singular code stream for Hitachi block storage systems. Advances in the technology have increased performance, expanded usability with active-active stretched clusters, extended storage virtualization with Virtual Storage Machines (VSMs), and added non-disruptive scale out capabilities to extend the life of the system.
Hitachi offers the SVOS RF as Virtual Storage Software Block that may installed on X86 servers. As of February 2022, VMware only is supported for the environment with support for KVM and bare metal servers expected later in 2022.
The seamless continuation of the high-end Hitachi VSP series systems will allow customers familiar with the earlier systems to expand on their value derived from the system with the new capabilities and performance. Environments for midrange storage can be expanded with the new capabilities and simplified operations of the VSP family. The E Series supports block storage only.
In May 2018, Hitachi refreshed the product line with new Intel processors and other updates and changed the product model numbers.
Highlights of the VSP midrange systems include:
- NVMe SSD systems – E1090, E790, E590 (E590H, E790H and E1090H are hybrid models with
support for HDDs as well)
- Continuation of Hitachi VSP high-end hardware design using standard Intel components in a
- Embedded software SVOS RF – Storage Virtualized Operating System RF
- Hitachi Ops Center – advanced management
- External storage system virtualization
- Thin provisioning for external volumes, fat-to-thin conversion
- Real-time tiering as cache extension
- Automated Dynamic Tiering
- Compression in hardware with accelerator module
- Software based compression and deduplication
- E-series – all NVMe devices
- Clustering support for up to 65 systems.
Download the full Product Brief now!